A tube power supply repair 真空管電源の修理

2009/01/06                              日本語は下にあります。

“ A repair of the homebrew tube power supply “

「真空管電源の修理」

 

I have homebrewed QRP tube HF transmitters in the past.   As the parts for tubes are getting scares and expensive, I decided to design and make a power supply for the tube rigs I have.  I had an old tube power supply unit on hand released from the Canadian Army and modified it to suit my operation of the rigs.   I made a list of parts on hand that I could use to make the power supply and designed the schematic in the spring, 2005.  The pictures be seen in the album of this blog under Jan. 6, 2009, and the schematic is available upon request by e-mail to me.

 

Specification:  It has two systems, a low voltage system ( 250 Vdc) and high voltage system (200 Vdc to 400Vdc) in one chassis.  I ended up 300Vdc, not regulated for the low voltage system and 150Vdc regulated, 300Vdc regulated and 400Vdc not regulated, as well as 5 volts AC and 6.3 volts AC.  The ampage to be drawn is not known but it is heavy duty and sufficient enough for my use, HI.

The rectifier tubes:  A 5U4G for the high voltage system and a 5W4 for the low voltage system.  No new major parts were used but all used parts.

 

I have been using it from time to time to run my tube rigs and then in November, 2008, the fuse on the high voltage system was blown out.  That was the first time having a trouble on the power supply and I tried to repair it.

 

The ARRL handbook has a section of how to repair radios and I followed the steps they recommended.  After visual inspection, I wrote down the steps I was going to take to find out the problem as follows.  The steps were written in a notebook as recommended in the handbook so that I can refer and review what I did and what happened on the each step in the future.

 

The problem defined:  The fuse on the high voltage system was blown.

 

Step one: I removed all tubes and asked VE3FBH, Frank, to check the tubes with his tube tester.   All tubes were shown sufficient as it should have.

Step two:  I started to take the voltage measurement on the primary and secondary side of the power transformer.   I confirmed no broken wire and no grounding on the transformer, so working fine.  And the voltage measurements showed adequate as it should have. 

Step three: Then I put back the 5U4G only in the socket and switched on the switch.  Then the fuse was blown.  I saw a blue spark came out from the top portion of the tube.  I could not figure out because the tube 5U4G was tested with a tube tester indicating  good.  So I installed another fuse and switched it again.  The fuse was blown again and I saw the blue spark once again for sure.

 

Step four: I looked for a spare 5U4G and found three of them in my tube box.  These 5U4G were kindly given by W9WLQ, Les, a couple years ago.   I had two TUNG-SOL 5U4G (looked to be brand new) and RCA made 5U4G.  So I installed one Tung- Sol tube as the replacement and switched it for test.  This time no trouble, and nothing was happened.  I had a BAD 5U4G tube which caused the problem.  So even the tube has been checked with a tube tester showing GOOD, the tester can NOT check everything on the tube.  Lets remember that and that is what I have learned from this repair.  And also I have to say VRY TNX to Les, W9WLQ for the replacement tubes.  It was certainly time saving and no hustle for looking for another tube.  Thanks so much, Les.

 

During the check, I found the breeder register was loosen and needed to re-solder it.  I felt very great as I found the problem and fixed it myself.

 

Happy QRPing and 73.

 

VE3CGC  Hiro,  ve3cgc@hotmail.com

 

 

In Japanese:

「真空管電源の修理」

 

2005年に私の自作した真空管式QRP送信機を動かす電源を作ることにしました。 最近は真空管に使う部品もなかなか手に入りにくくなったことと、送信機11台に電源を組み込むことも難しくなったためです。 

 

私の作った電源の写真をこのブログの、200916日のところにアップロードしましたので、見てください。配線図はメールいただければ、送ります。

出来上がった電源は電圧の高いセクションで、400V300V, 150V 及び、電圧の低いセクションで300Vが取り出せるものとなり、時々QRP送信機を動かしていました。 ところが、200811月に突然、電圧の高いセクションのヒューズが飛んでしまいました。 

 

ARRLのハンドブックを読むと、まず目視や鼻でラジオを細かく検査し、部品が焦げていたり、焼けている匂いや、銅線がはがれていたり、切れていたり、一通り見ることと書かれてありましたので、良く見ました。 これらを確認した後、次に、ノートを用意し、修理の手順を箇条書きにし、修理していく手順を書き込み、その目的や注意事項を記述し、その結果は将来参考にする、とありました。 この方法はとても良い、なぜなら、問題の追及中でも、後に、いろいろ確認する事項でも、書きとめておけば、正確で、とても参考になります。 私もこれはどなたにも勧めたいです。

 

ステップ 1:電源には5U4G(全波整流)、OC3, OA2(電圧制御)が使われ、全部の真空管をソケットから取り外し、VE3FBHフランクに真空管テスターで検査してもらい、動作を確認しました。

ステップ 2:パワートランスの1次側、2次側の電圧をテスターで計り、所定の電圧の確認と、断線やアースされていないかチェックしました。 この結果、トランスは問題なし。

ステップ 3:次に、5U4Gの球だけをソケットに差し込み、スイッチを入れると、球の上部から、青いスパークが飛び、ヒューズが飛んでしまったので、再度、新しいヒューズを取り付け、スイッチを入れました。 またもヒューズが飛んでしまいましたが、今度は、スパークをはっきり自分の目で確かに見ました。 

ステップ 4:問題は5U4Gにあると思い、スペアの5U4Gを探しました。 2年位前、W8WLQ レスからいただいた5U4G球が3本見つかり、このうち2本は見たところ、全く新しい球のようで、このうち1本をソケットに差し込み、スイッチをいれて見ました。 今度はヒューズは飛ばず、切れなかったので、OC3, OA2をソケットに差し込み、動作を確認し、電圧をはかり、全てが正常に動作しているようで、そのまま約30分くらい電気をとうした状態で様子を確認しました。 手元にスペアの球があったので、大変助かり、W8WLQにはとても感謝でした。

 

この修理で学んだことは、真空管テスタで動作を確認しても、所期の性能は確認できますが、本当に問題のある真空管かどうかはわからない、と言うことです。 真空管は良く問題を起こし、別な球と取り替えると直ることがよくあります。 今回も原因はこれだったのでしょう。 修理中に、ブリーダー抵抗器の半田がゆるみ、はずれていたのを見つけたので、しっかり、半田ズケしました。  原因を見つけ、修理できた時の気分は最高です。

 

73.            VE3CGC  はやし ひろ  ve3cgc@hotmail.com

This entry was posted in ham radio, amateur radio, アマチュア無線、 ハムラジオ. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s